As of 2/16/22, we’ve added the ability to add piping logic when setting up a Suzy survey! Question & Answer Piping allows users to insert, or "pipe- in" answer text from a previous multiple choice into subsequent question text or answer/row options.
Piping allows for a more complex survey design and an improved respondent experience! Piped answers are personalized to the respondent based on the information they have already provided, resulting in superior response quality. Piping requires a more complex survey design - be sure to always preview your survey before launching!
Below are a few quick notes about piping on Suzy!
Piping is available within the following actions:
- Screening Surveys
- Standard Surveys
- Monadic Surveys (within the Comparison Block only!)
- Piping is not available within the Concept Block!
Piped text/answers always come from a previously asked multiple choice question.
- Users can pipe single-select multiple choice answers into question text for all question types.
- Users can pipe single and multi-select multiple choice answers into a future multiple choice question’s answers.
- This is supported for both text and images!
- Users can pipe single and multi-select multiple choice answers into a future scale/custom grid question’s rows OR columns
- When piping into grids, Suzy only supports 10 piped rows/columns to ensure a quality respondent experience when taking surveys! If the number of potential answer choices exceeds 10, you will get an error message and
- Rank questions currently do not support piping into answer choices!
One pipe per question!
- You can pipe into question text OR pipe into answer options, but not both!
- Example: If you pipe into question text, the pipe into answer options will disable and vice versa
- Example: If you pipe into custom grid rows, you cannot pipe into grid columns and vice versa
Piping can come from within the current survey OR from a previously launched survey/multiple choice action!
- If piping from a previously launched survey/multiple choice action, the current survey MUST be targeted to the previous action! This ensures that the pipe is relevant to all respondents in the survey.
In-step targeting can be added in conjunction with piping! Using in-step targeting with piping is a great way to ensure that respondents are having a personalized and seamless experience!
Lastly, below is a list of all piping scenarios that Suzy can support!
Piping in Question Text within a screening survey, survey, or monadic:
Multiple choice single select to multiple choice question text
Multiple choice single select to open end question text
Multiple choice single select to rating question text
Multiple choice single select to scale grid question text
Multiple choice single select to rank grid question text
Multiple choice single select to custom grid question text
Piping into Question Answers* within a screening survey, survey, or monadic:
Multiple choice (single** or multiselect) into multiple choice answers
Multiple choice (single** or multiselect) into scale grid rows
Multiple choice (single** or multiselect) into custom grid rows
Multiple choice (single** or multiselect) into custom grid columns
*Piping into question answers supports text answers AND image answers!
**While you can pipe from a multiple choice single select question, the majority of piping into question answers will be from a multiselect multiple choice question